Common Interest Community Board - Title 55 Recodification
During the 2019 Session of the General Assembly, the legislature enacted SB 1080, which recodifies Title 55 (Property and Conveyances) of the Code of Virginia. The Virginia Code Commission initiated the recodification process in 2016 and adopted its final report in 2018.
Effective October 1, 2019, Title 55 was repealed and replaced by the new Title 55.1 of the Code of Virginia. Subtitle IV of the new title contains chapters pertaining to common interest communities as follows:
- Chapter 18 — Property Owners’ Association Act
- Chapter 19 — Virginia Condominium Act
- Chapter 20 — Horizontal Property Act
- Chapter 21 — Virginia Real Estate Cooperative Act
- Chapter 22 — Virginia Real Estate Time-Share Act
- Chapter 23 — Subdivided Land Sales Act
In addition, provisions of the Code currently located in Chapter 29 of Title 55 (Common Interest Community Management Information Fund) were incorporated into Chapter 23.3 of Title 54.1.
A "crosswalk" index of code section changes for select chapters in Title 55 is available here.
In connection with these upcoming statutory revisions, the Common Interest Community Board has undertaken regulatory actions to conform to several sections of its regulations.