The Cemetery Board regulates for-profit cemeteries that offer perpetual care services or pre-need burial contracts, and that are required to maintain trust fund accounts. Cemeteries owned and operated by churches, the state, and all counties, cities, and towns are exempt from licensure and the board's jurisdiction. Additional exemptions are given to certain non-profit, association and family cemeteries. The seven-member Cemetery Board is composed of four cemetery operators, one local government representative, and two citizen members.

Additional Notices

Read the Guidance Document on complying with requirement to engage CPA to analyze trust fund financial report.

  • Go to: Most Requested Forms (address change, criminal conviction reporting, certification request, etc.) 

Applicants must read and understand the Cemetery Board Regulations (PDF). Application fees are not refundable. 

DPOR Boards only accept the most recent versions of the applications provided below. DPOR Boards are not responsible for processing delays associated with forms that do not conform to this requirement.

Problems opening interactive forms? 

Help for Google Chrome users here | Other troubleshooting resources here

Cemetery Company/Personnel Forms

Cemetery Company License Application (PDF) Interactive Static
Cemetery Company Renewal/Reinstatement Application (PDF)      Interactive Static
Sales Personnel Registration Form (PDF)  Interactive Static
Compliance Agent Designee Application (PDF)  Interactive Static
Compliance Agent/Director/Officer Change Form (PDF) Interactive Static
Perpetual Care Trust Fund - Notice of Conversion Form (PDF) Interactive Static
Cemetery Addition Form (PDF)   Interactive Static
Sample General Price List (PDF) Interactive Static

Perpetual Care Forms

Perpetual Care Fidelity Bond Form (PDF)  Interactive Static
Perpetual Care Trust Fund Financial Report (PDF) Interactive Static
Perpetual Care Trust Fund Financial Report Instructions (PDF)       Interactive Static
Schedule A: Receipts and Expenses (Perpetual Care) (PDF)   Interactive Static
Schedule B: Required Deposits (Perpetual Care) (PDF)  Interactive Static
Schedule C: Operating Expenses (Perpetual Care) (PDF)  Interactive Static
Schedule D: Investment Securities (Perpetual Care) (PDF)  Interactive Static
Schedule E: Covered Cemeteries (Perpetual Care) (PDF)  Interactive Static

Preneed Forms

Preneed Burial Contract (PDF)  Interactive Static
Preneed Fidelity Bond Form (PDF)  Interactive Static
Preneed Trust Fund Financial Report (PDF)  Interactive Static
Preneed Trust Fund Financial Report Instructions (PDF)                  Interactive Static
Schedule A: Receipts and Expenses (Preneed) (PDF)  Interactive Static
Schedule B: Required Deposits (Preneed) (PDF)  Interactive Static
Schedule C: Investment Securities (Preneed) (PDF)  Interactive Static

Trustee Forms

Perpetual Care Trust Fund Trustee Verification (PDF)  Interactive Static
Trustee Approval Application (PDF)  Interactive Static
New Trustee/Transfer of Funds Notification Form (PDF)                   Interactive Static

Sign up for email notification of regulatory action and meetings by registering here.


Cemetery-related statutes NOT administered or enforced by DPOR: 

  • Title 57 | Religious and Charitable Matters; Cemeteries 
  • Chapter 22 of Title 10.1 | Historic Resources 
  • Local government statutes including: 
    • § 15.2-972 (local appropriations for the upkeep of certain cemeteries),
    • § 15.2-978 (local registration of cemeteries, graveyards, or other places of burial on private property), 
    • § 15.2-1111 (regulation of cemeteries and burials), and
    • § 15.2-1121 (local operation of cemeteries).

NOTE: This is not an all-inclusive list and does not constitute legal advice. The entire Code of Virginia is accessible online and searchable at

  • Applicants for Compliance Agent or Designee must complete a training program approved by the Cemetery Board.

    Resources for Approved Training Courses

    Virginia Cemetery Association

    Executive Director: Lisa Noon, CAE

    8100 Three Chopt Rd., Ste. OMG 226

    Richmond, VA 23229

    (804) 215-2665

Sign up for email notification of regulatory action and meetings by registering here.


Consumer Guide 

DPOR Consumer Guide: Cemeteries and Pre-Need Burial Contracts  

1. How do I contact the Board office? Will I be able to speak directly with a Board member?

You may reach us by phone at 804-367-0010 (Licensing Section) or 804-367-8552, by FAX at 1-866-826-8863, or by e-mail at Additionally, if you have information to mail to the Board, please send it to:

Cemetery Board
Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 400
Richmond, VA 23233

The Board members do not work in the Board office. They come into the Board offices for Board meetings and hearings, but are not here on a daily basis. Board office staff members can answer your questions and are trained to process all information that comes into the Board office. Please do not contact Board members directly.

2. Does the Cemetery Board regulate all cemeteries?

No, the law specifically exempts cemeteries owned and operated by churches, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and all counties, cities and towns. Additional exemptions are given to certain non-profit, association, and family cemeteries. Please contact the Board office for specific information.

3. Where can I get information concerning funeral homes?

The Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers is responsible for regulating funeral directors, funeral establishments and crematories. That Board is housed at the Department of Health Professions. More information is available calling (804) 367-4479, or by visiting

4. Is a salesperson registration required to sell cemetery plots or merchandise?

Yes. All individuals selling for a licensed cemetery must obtain their salesperson registration from the Cemetery Board. Application forms are available on this web site or can be obtained by contacting the Board office.

5. May a cemetery require vaults or grave liners?

Vaults or grave liners are not required by law, but cemeteries may have their own policies requiring them, because they keep the ground from settling after burial and make mowing and maintenance easier. Be sure to check a cemetery's rules and regulations for this and other requirements before you sign a contract.

6. Does the Cemetery Board regulate the depth of graves or how close graves can be to each other?

The Cemetery Board does not regulate the depth of graves, or how close graves can be to each other. Most cemeteries are guided by the requirements set forth by their locality, and in the event the locality has no requirements, by their individual rules and regulations.

7. I think the prices charged by a cemetery are too high. Should I complain to the Cemetery Board?

The Cemetery Board does not regulate the prices charged by any cemetery. However, the law requires licensed cemeteries to provide a General Price List (GPL) when you inquire in person about burial arrangements and prices. When you contract for services with a licensed cemetery, the law requires the cemetery to give you an itemized statement of your final choices. Make sure the statement includes only those items you have selected. Get a total dollar amount in writing before you sign the contract.  

8. How do I go about filing a complaint against a cemetery or a salesperson?

If you have a complaint about a licensed cemetery or a cemetery salesperson, first try to settle it with management. If you cannot resolve the issue, you may file a complaint with the Regulatory Programs and Compliance Section.

For complaints you are unable to resolve with cemeteries that are not under the Cemetery Board's jurisdiction, contact an official of the managing organization.

9. I need to renew my registration, but I haven't received my renewal form. What do I need to do?

Send in the renewal fee, make checks payable to the Treasurer of Virginia, and include your registration number on your check. Also submit a Name/Address Change Form if you have moved or changed your name. Mail this information to:
Cemetery Board
Department of Professional & Occupational Regulation
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 400
Richmond, VA 23233

10. My renewal payment was one day late and I have always paid on time. Can you waive the late fee?

No. The Cemetery Board's regulations provide a 30-day period after the expiration date in which a license may be renewed without penalty (therefore, your payment is actually 31 days late). Staff cannot waive the fee. Board regulations state that if the requirements for renewal of a license, including receipt of the fee by the board, are not complete within 30 days of the expiration date, a reinstatement fee is required.

11. I did not renew on time because I didn't receive my renewal card. Do I still have to pay a late fee or reinstate my registration?

Yes. Regulation 18 VAC 47-20-100 B states that failure to receive the renewal notice does not relieve the licensee of the obligation to renew.

12. Does the Board office use the date of receipt or the postmark date to determine whether an application or renewal was received on time?

The date the application or renewal was received in the agency determines whether it is on time, not the postmark date. If the renewal fee is received after the due date, you will be required to pay the reinstatement fee. If the reinstatement fee is received after the due date, you will be required to reapply for licensure, meeting all current requirements.

13. My address and/or name has changed. What do I need to do to notify the Board?

Many Boards allow you to update your ADDRESS using Online Services, so login to your personal profile to see if this is an option for your license type. The alternative is to complete, print, sign, and submit an Address Change Form to the Board office by mail. Unless updated online, all Address Change Forms must be received by the Board in writing. When providing a post office box as the mailing address, it must be accompanied by the physical address.

To report a NAME CHANGE: complete, print, sign, and submit a Name Change Form to the Board office. All name changes must be received by the Board in writing. Individual name change requests must be accompanied by a copy of a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order, or other official documentation that verifies the name change.

Board Roster

Cemetery Board

Board Executive Director

Anika Coleman

Licensing Operations Administrator

Vanessa Degraw

Regulatory Operations Administrator

Lee Bryant

Member Roster

Board Member Roster

Caroline Smyth | Vice-Chair

  • Cemetery Operator
  • Term ends June 30, 2024

James A. Meadows, Jr.

  • Cemetery Operator
  • Term ends June 30, 2024

Donald Wilson

  • Cemetery Operator
  • Term ends June 30, 2026

Charletta H. Barringer-Brown

  • Citizen Member
  • Term ends June 30, 2026

Judy S. Lyttle

  • Local Government Representative
  • Term ends June 30, 2025

Susan Mini | Chair

  • Cemetery Operator
  • Terms ends June 30, 2025

James Young

  • Citizen Member
  • Terms ends June 30, 2025

Board members are appointed by the Governor. To learn more about the gubernatorial appointment process, visit the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s website.

DPOR stands ready to assist veterans and active-duty military personnel as they maintain or transition to civilian careers requiring professional credentials.

Active-duty military personnel and their spouses having served outside the U.S., as well as certain diplomatic service members and veterans, may be eligible to receive up to a five-year extension for meeting license renewal requirements (pursuant to Section 54.1-117 of the Code of Virginia).

Spouses of active-duty military personnel assigned to a duty station in Virginia are eligible for expedited processing using the Military Spouse Expedited License Application (Interactive | Static). A temporary, non-renewable 12-month license for certain military spouses licensed in another state who need more time to meet Virginia-specific requirements is also an option if necessary. [Section 54.1-119

  • Military spouses also can get help covering the costs of transferring their professional licenses or certifications when they experience a permanent-change-of-station move with their service member spouse

For honorably discharged veterans, “substantially equivalent” military training, education, or experience may be credited toward certain license requirements (pursuant to Section 54.1-118). The Virginia Department of Veteran Services does not reimburse for exam costs. However, Veterans can be reimbursed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The link for the information is here:

(Please check back periodically as we modify transactions in the future.)

Address change

ALL license types 


Renew a license

ALL license types  


Reinstate an expired license

ALL individual license types 


Go to Online Services